1. Know what your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is. Your BMR is your most basic caloric expenditure to function. Equivalent to laying on the couch all day. Calculate yours here.
2. To lose weight, one must burn more calories than one consumes consistently.
3. Burning 500 more calories a day than what you consume for a week burns 3,500 calories, which is also equivalent to a pound of fat.
4. Eat lean proteins with every meal.
5. Eat healthy fats. Examples include: avocados, olives, nuts, natural peanut butter containing just peanuts and salt, fatty fish such as salmon, grass fed beef, etc
6. Eat 2-3 servings of vegetables a day, 2-3 cups, and/or a serving of vegetables with every meal.
7. Eat at least 25-35 grams of fiber a day. Fiber aids with digestion and will help to keep you feeling satiated.
8. Minimize processed foods and maximize a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables.
9. Drink half of your body weight in water and/or unsweetened teas. Drink throughout the day until your urine is clear and you are using the restroom every 3 hours. ACSM recommendations
Helpful Nutritional Links: